Designing a Well Lived Life: Checking In (June 2020)
Checking in for June for my "Designing a Well-Lived Life" blogging. This
is about making small changes during the year to make larger changes.
- Dropping expectations: I didn't really practice with this over the
past month. I think it's a combination of not having the
expectations and being more adept at relaxing the expectations. Need
to notice this more.
- Physical Health: Ho boy. I haven't really practiced with this at
all. I need to give this more focus.
- Writing more: I did more blogging, and have been working on the
Pepper&Carrot RPG most days. I'm going to call this a win for now.
- Programming more: I think I did more fretting about game programming
than actual programming this past month. This gets a bit to dropping
expectations, especially the expectation of doing some remarkable
programming and not having the foggiest how to do it. Going to take
this next month to just practice with Godot development and see
where this lands.
- Mindfulness: Some days I'm more mindful than others. Some days I've
been able to refocus myself on the task at hand. Still more practice
- Decluttering: Made some more progress with this over the past month.
I actually had periods where I did some serious decluttering and it
felt great. Need to practice with this more, but pleased with the
- Deeper work: Some days are great, and some days aren't so great.
Some days I'm totally in the flow and other days I'm barely able to
keep up. I think my major challenge is figuring out how to best
harness the days where I'm going to be able to go deeper and
recognize the days where I'm going to have a tougher time and be
gentle with my frustrations about not being able to go deeper.
- Getting out of debt: Making better progress with this. Actually am
working on not spending money on Kickstarter and allocating more
money toward paying off credit cards. Still a slow process, but a
June felt difficult for me, in part because of the dichotomy between the
fantasy that we were getting back to normal and the reality that we're
nowhere near normal. I think that's part of why I've been focusing more
on work, decluttering, and what's next. I definitely want to explore
more game design and game programming and have been mentally preparing
myself for this. More to come in future posts.http://decafbad.net/2020/07/01/designing-a-well-lived-life-checking-in-june-2020/